This Spider cake is a guaranteed success at any Halloween party. The carrot cake gets its delicious taste from hazel nuts, cinnamon and raisins while the creamy topping is made from cream cheese and icing sugar with a scary spiderweb on top made from ready-to-roll sugar paste.
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 2 Cups (400g) sugar
- 2,5 Cups (250g) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.75 cup (ca 50 g) almonds or hazelnuts
- 1,5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp ground ginger
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 g finely grated carrots, about 2 large carrots
- 115 g raisins
- Finely grated peel from 1 orange.
For the filling:
- 125 g icing sugar
- 100 g butter, softened
- 200 g full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- I you like, 1 tsp pressed lemon or lime
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Beat eggs and sugar white and fluffy.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add them into the egg mixture.
- Add the sunflower oil, grated carrot and the grated orange peel
- Pour the batter into a buttered floured pan baking pan.
- Bake in middle of oven for about 55 minutes. Try it using a stick, the cake should not be sticky.
- Let the cake cool down.
Cream Cheese Frosting and spider web
- Beat all ingredients to a creamy mix then spread the frosting on top of the cake. Let rest in the fridge.
- Decorate the cake on the day of serving. Shape a spider body and legs from the black sugar paste and eyes of a white paste. Form a body part and then the legs by rolling 6 thin ropes of the black sugar paste, then gently press together. Make the spider web by rolling thin ropes of the black icing like you did with the spider legs and lay them on the top of the cake to look like a web. Carefully lift the spider and lay it in position.
Happy halloween, Enjoy!